I guess M stands for Monday? I love M but I never get to make it because Monday is the only day I get to spend quality time with my dog, Reggie. Instead, I sent my girls from Chicago (2) there because I knew they’d have fun. Later, I texted Mike to ask him what I was missing and he sent me the list of songs he had just played:
1. Boy From School, Hot Chip
2. Umbrella (Haji and Emmanuel Remix), Rhianna
3. 100% (Extended Mix), Crystal Waters
4. Yeah yea (Flosstradamus Remix), Matt and Kim
5. Dance (MSTRKRFT Remix), Justice
6. Escape (Bloody Beatroots Remix), Toxic Avenger
7. Mens Needs (CSS Remix), The Cribs
8. Piano Man, Ghostland Observatory
9. Got Your Money, ODB
10. Music Is My Hot Hot Sex, CSS
Sean sent me HIS set list of songs that he played too and now you get the full picture of what a night at M could be like musically:
1. Raspberry Beret – Prince
2. Goody Two Shoes – Adam Ant
3. Icky Thump – White Stripes
4. 20th Century Boy – T. Rex
5. Mr. Blue Sky – Electric Light Orchestra
6. One Way Or Another – CSS
7. Rebellion (lies) – Arcade Fire
8. TV Babies (Crystal Castles Rmx) – Comic Book Fever
9. That’s All – Genesis
10. Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen 2. Shaka and Amanda are amazing. I photographed Shaka in a washing machine holding a box of detergent in front of her nakedness, and Amanda was in a bathtub. They both live here now.
My girl Alana (1) has been obsessed with Reni Laine who she always sees at parties. Mike Nouveau finally introduced me to her.
“I’m definitely going to be a household name, if not in a year, then like… six months. Why not? I’m really determined and focused on what I want. Even though I’m at a party right now and having fun, I know my goal, and I know what I have to do to get there… and I’m going to do it! Being blonde is fun, but you do have to work past all the stigmas. You have to prove yourself by honing your craft and knowing what the hell you’re doing. Everyday I’m reading new poetry and studying new musicians. Right now I’m studying Elliot Smith, the New Moon record that came out a while ago. It’s a lot of posthumous works that were never published before. I also like PJ Harvey (2). She’s like a total grunge rock and roll chick who’s very spirited and knows what she’s doing and it’s hot. My music is rock and roll, but I first learned piano so that brings a dreaminess to the rock, but when I get on stage it’s pretty gritty. Sometimes it’s tough because it’s New York and you have to work 10 jobs to get there, but I love working a hard day then dancing it off at night and having fun.”
When VHS or BETA and I stepped into the basement of the sushi bar in Detroit, there were hot girls in lingerie and skinny gay boys in underwear… dancing. Is this new song from their upcoming album inspired by that night or am I reading too much into the lyrics?
Junior’s Advice… When you submit a treatment for a band’s video you shouldn’t even listen to the song. Junior thought I should just do a treatment for “Light and Noise” based on the title and submit it to the label. Ultragrrrl had just told me that they were accepting treatments for the next single which happens to be the last song The Photo Atlas played before they got off stage. It was the only song I heard. I went home and put it on repeat while I answered my Myspace messages at 5am.
Click on Fender Telecaster to hear a stream and see more pictures.